Landownership Problems in Vancouver
When it comes to landownership there are many different types of conflicts that can arise, many of which will require the assistance of a lawyer.
Disputes Concerning Purchase and Sale of Property
Transactions involving either the purchase or sale of land can result in litigation in several different ways including:
- Buyer or seller is unable or fails to complete the contract.
- After completion of the sale, the buyer discovers important latent defects such as foundation cracks, water damage, asbestos or mold.
- The seller makes misrepresentations regarding the property.
Disagreements with Neighbours
A landowner can have any number of disputes with adjacent land owners or neighbors:
- Land Boundaries: Disagreements concerning the location of the dividing line between properties.
- Trespass: Encroachments of buildings, fences, trees or walls onto the neighbour’s land.
- Nuisance: Activities on person’s land that interferes with their neighbour’s use or enjoyment of their property including noise, pollution, and migration of water.
Disputes with Co-Owners
Where co-owners of property cannot agree to sell the property or to have one person buy-out the other’s interest, it may be necessary to file an application pursuant to the Partition of Property Act. In those cases, the PPA provides the court with authority to direct a sale of the property and to distribute the proceeds. The court can also give direction about how the property is to be sold.
Vancouver Commercial Disputes
Commercial disputes in Vancouver can arise from:
- Breach of contract.
- Non-payment of debts (creditors’ remedies).
- Shareholder disputes including unfair treatment of shareholders (oppression remedies) and corporate governance matters (corporations not taking necessary steps to protect their interests – need for derivative actions).
- Business partnership disputes.
- Disputes involving non-competition and employment agreements.
- Compensation issues (non-payment of amounts due).
- Construction disputes.
When a commercial/contractual dispute with the potential for litigation arises in your business, it is important to consult an experienced Vancouver lawyer as quickly as possible. Disputes dealt with effectively at their earliest stages typically lead to better outcomes at much less expense than waiting to consult a lawyer until the dispute has escalated or a lawsuit commenced by the opposing party. The lawyers at McLarty Wolf will provide a free, no obligation initial consultation to business people who need help to solve problems they can’t solve themselves.
Cases We Handle
- Breach of contract claims
- Business disputes
- Disputes over land
- Trespass/easement/right of way claims
Contact a Vancouver Commercial Disputes and Landowner Lawyer
If you have an issue with a commercial dispute or land ownership problem, the lawyers of McLarty Wolf are committed to helping. Call McLarty Wolf today to discuss your case with one of our lawyers at 604-688-9542 or send us an email.