In 2013 alone, 260,000 car accidents occurred1 in British Columbia, leading to tens of thousands of injuries and hundreds of fatalities. One of the most deadly types of car accidents is the head-on collision when the fronts of two vehicles collide directly into one another. These accidents often occur when one driver crosses into oncoming traffic, and head-on collisions often result in catastrophic, if not fatal, injuries.
Negligence often leads to head-on collisions
Some examples of negligent acts that may cause a head-on collision include the following:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol
- Texting and other forms of distracted driving2
- Overly fatigued drivers falling asleep at the wheel
- Driving the wrong way on a road
- Inadequate road maintenance and ice/snow removal
- Speeding on curves, causing a driver to cross the center line
- Defective auto parts that cause a driver to lose control
- Dangerously designed roadways
- Dangerous hazards, such as potholes, that cause a driver to lose control
These are only some examples of negligent acts that may lead to a head-on collision. In some situations, the negligence that caused the accident will be very obvious, such as a driver who is clearly intoxicated driving the wrong way. In other instances, thorough investigation may be required to determine the appropriate negligent party and to establish their fault.
For example, if you hit a pothole and your tire blew out, sending you into oncoming traffic, you may immediately look to the government for negligent maintenance of the roads. However, if the tire manufacturer sold a tire that was made from inadequate materials and, therefore, could not withstand the pothole, the manufacturer may also be held partially responsible for the accident. A lawyer with experience handling this type of case will know how to identify all possible negligent parties so that you receive the full amount of compensation you deserve for your losses.
Call the car accident lawyers at the Vancouver office of McLarty Wolf for help today
At the BC law office of McLarty Wolf, our car accident lawyers commonly help victims of head-on collisions recover. Call for a free consultation today at 604-688-9542.